Monday, September 27, 2010

MFA first Visit Assignment

After our class visit to the MFA I really dug the first thing that we looked at which was the sculpture of King Menkaure and his queen. There was no abstraction to this piece, it looked realistic, the each had 2 arms and 2 legs and everything seemed in portion but yet there was still something unnatural about it and I think it was just mainly the position they were standing in, very straight and forward, very not how people pose these days. Although we are physically placed in the presence of the figure and we can stand in front of it the statue doesn't really look at you it kind of looks above you. I guess if you were a King you would want you statue to be someone authoritative and un-relatable by having a very well built body, very straight and in your face without looking at you. Remind me to do the same when I get my statue made haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment