Ten questions to ask about a new technology:
1) What is its purpose?
2) What was its analog, if there was one? How does a mediated, digital, or networked version of the tool or technique change it?
3) Who uses it? How? When? Where? Why? Does the use change over time? Do different users use it differently?
4) How does a user learn how to use it?
5) Who makes it? Who profits? How?
6) How is it regulated?
7) How does it spread?
8) Does it create or fill a need?
9) What is the interface? Is it also an object? Or a practice? Both? (think cell phone)
10) How does the user change the technology as he or she uses it? (mods and hacks and appropriations) How does the technology change the user? How does it become part of a person's sense of self?